Scholarship for studying abroad

University of Birmingham - Research council funding

General information on this scholarship

University of Birmingham
Research council funding
Eligible countries: 
European Union
Other limitation: 
Some research councils may also fund overseas students in exceptional circumstances

General Description

The University of Birmingham offers a number of research council scholarships to postgraduate students who are enrolled at the institution in research or taught programmes on a full or part-time basis. The initiative is government-funded and covers tuition and maintenance for three years. It is for students enrolled in a PhD programme for one year for MA, MPhil, or MRes. The highly competitive award is based on two amounts which are given to cover fees and maintenance. The amount for maintenance is approximately £13,863, and for fees the amount is £3,996. Adjustments to these amounts are taken into consideration each academic year. In addition to the monetary amount some research council grants also provide training and other benefits to recipients. This includes difficult language training, overseas fieldwork, work and research placements, and more.


Students who are EU residents, UK residents, or who possess EU Migrant Worker status are able to apply. International students are considered in some situations.

Application deadlines

Applications can be submitted at any time.