Scholarships in Italy

Italy has a wealth of beauty and history. There are nearly a hundred universities in Italy and higher learning academies and institutions. 80% of them are public and the other 20% are private. As an exception, one of them is a partly owned by a private organization and the government. The cost of education is on an average level compared to most other European countries. The government encourages foreign students to study in Italian universities by offering scholarships for research projects.
Benefit from a scholarship in Italy
Benefit from a scholarship in Italy


General situation in terms of scholarships

Students can readily find out information about scholarships, by reviewing the information in the Borse di Studio per ‘Estero . Scholarships are given on the merit, after an assessment of a student’s GPA. There are many factors which are considered when students are given a scholarship such as religion, nationality or their financial need.

Scholarships are offered to international students for research projects which are related to the Italian education system. The criteria is in relation to the course studied, not the financial means of the student. Therefore, the course determines if scholarships are awarded to students.

Awards are made for both undergraduate and postgraduate programmes. Foreign students tend to select Italian universities to complete their further education, because they can apply for scholarships. In other European countries scholarships tend to be only available for national students. Also, if there are scholarships accessible they tend to restrict them (in other European countries) for undergraduate programmes only.

The scholarships are attractive to students who seek an advanced vocational training, music and art, because it allows the students to reduce the cost of their studies, by reducing their living costs. There are a vast number of scholarships available for this type of programme.

Type of scholarships and granting institution

There are a vast number of scholarships available based on the subjects of the students such as the EduItalia, Ca’ Foscari and the Campus L'Infinito.

Undergraduate scholarships such as the Ca' Foscari International College scholarship, are awarded to undergraduates in their first year of university. There are different types; they can either be full or partial scholarships. This is awarded on the discretion of the college.They aid in reducing the students expenses and general living costs, whilst attending university.

60% of the institutions are public. Therefore, there are many opportunities to seek financial aid through various initiatives such as grants, bursaries, scholarships and waivers. Aid offered to foreign students is the same as is offered to natives.

Availability and conditions for getting a scholarship

There are different ways to obtain a scholarship. In most cases, they are restricted by the number of applicants and competition for specific types of scholarships. Student guides are readily made available at the beginning of the academic year. It details the different opportunities for the various types of scholarships and the application process.

Other factors apart from the merit or financial requirement, are taken into consideration on assessment of students applications for scholarships. They include the religion, nationality or financial support of each student. Scholarships don’t need to be repaid after the student completes their course.

Local scholarships for foreign students

Other scholarships include the EduItalia which is offered by the University of Milan. Students tend to undertake this course if they wish to learn Italian as a second language or as a translator.

Partial scholarships are offered by the Campus L'Infinito in Recanati. It is an Italian language school for international students and it is situated in the centre of Recanati, a town on the east coast of Italy.

Typical scholarships in Italy

There are additional benefits for students who are recipients of the state's regional welfare services. These include canteens, grants and facilities for the disabled in addition they gain access to sports centres. Also, there is the further benefit of part-time employment to aid in reducing the living costs.