Grant / loan for studying abroad

ELCAS - Armed Forces personnel

General information on this grant / loan

Armed Forces personnel
Eligible countries: 
United Kingdom

General Description

The University of Cumbria has been selected by the Ministry of Defense to provide financial support for current and recent Armed Forces personnel. The financial support is known as ELCAS, and this scheme is made to help the personnels (both serving and service leavers) to study a course with direct benefit to the service and which leads to personal and professional development. There are two options, ELCAS will pay 80% of the tuition fees up to £1,000 per year for up to three years for four or more years eligible service, OR 80% of the tuition fees up to £2,000 per year for up to three years for eight or more years eligible service. The rest of 20% of the tuition fees is expected to be paid by the selected candidate and can be paid either in full or in instalments.


Candidates must be studying a course that leads to a qualification at Level 3 or higher, ie A-level (or A-level equivalent) and higher, including degree level and beyond. They must meet the eligibility criteria of the ELCAS scheme.

Application deadlines

We currently do not have any information on the deadline.